Sunday, September 4, 2011

Tender Mercies

After months of drought here in Southeast Texas, a tropical depression came through with lots of rain fall.  It's sad how I take the littlest things for granted.  A good rain fall, cool winds, a roof over my head, food to eat,  good health.  But then I received a phone call from a dear friend of mine today, and she told me she has been diagnosed with MS.  She is so brave and so strong that I had no doubt that she will come through this as her independent spirit would not allow other wise.  But then something horrible happened....just before we hung up, she began to cry.  Oh no God, not my brave, strong friend. If she breaks down, what does that mean for the rest of us?  Then I remembered how tears were the cleansers for the soul and we all have to break down sometime.  And even the bravest of us have to cleanse the soul every now and then.  I love this woman so much, she has been one of those special blessings in my life, enriching it with her wisdom and her joy.  Now she needs those of us she has touched with her life to be her strength, to be her rock.  She is a single woman, and her friendships are very dear to her, as she is very dear to us.  I pledge to be there for her.  To give her a shoulder to cry on, a ear to listen and a voice to cheer her as the months and years go by.  Devastating illness's are never news anyone wants to hear.  It is hard for the person hearing it and for their family and friends also.  She has been our rock of friendship for so long, and now it's time for us to step up and be her rock.  Yes I plan to be there for her, through thick and thin, with all the tender mercies that God allows me to share. Because that's how true friends roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment