Friday, September 9, 2011

Little Things




Once when I thought of little things, I meant a soft rain on a spring day, or a gentle snow on a winters night.  Maybe even a road trip with a good friend to discover the wonders of the land.  Eating Capn Crunch cereal before bedtime to ensure sweet dreams.  Little things were affection from a four legged friend, saying hello to a neighbor and getting a feel good feeling over it.  Or maybe walking into the garden to  find a new bloom on my favorite flower, seeing a little tree frog after many years of absence.  An ice cream treat on a hot summer day, shared of course with one you love.  But these days when I think of little things, I literally mean little things.  My beautiful grandchildren, each one uniquely different, yet strangely the same in a lot of ways.  Their happy smiles, cuddly hugs, affectionate caresses.  Beautiful and sweet they bring joy complete.   It is true you know, grandchildren are the gift of God in older age.  I think I am a much better grandparent than I ever was a parent.  I have more patience, more time, and more emotion than I can ever remember.  I love those little people, and I can attest that it is the "little things" in life that do matter.

1 comment: